Developing Academic Excellence
Northern Beaches State High School proudly promotes academic excellence in which bright, young students are challenged to fulfil their academic potential and make connections with their future pathways.
iXL is the school’s own Academic Excellence Program based on the latest educational research and unique to the school and their vision for nurturing academia. It is a program for students excelling in their academic studies and meeting selection criterion in attendance, effort and behaviour.
We have high expectations of our students and know that they reap the benefits of being part of the iXL program. In 2018, three of the Year 12 students who were part of the program, received an OP1 and have gone on to their preferred courses at University in 2019 including Medicine and Law.
Research shows that engaging in an ongoing academic mentoring process provides students with an enhanced capacity for academic performance, maximising personal outcomes and establishing a strong foundation for future success. Students in the iXL Program are provided with an academic mentor from the school leadership team (Principal, Deputy Principals, Heads of Department) to assist in:
• Identifying their current performance level in their academic program.
• Establishing their personal learning goals for the remainder of the year.
• Maximising their personal performance and strengths through personal mentoring.
To assist students to achieve their goals the school provides a scholarship including:
• An Apple IPad mini 2 that the students use at home and school
• The waiving of student resource hire scheme fees
• Regular cultural, academic and careers based opportunities
Scholarship recipients are expected to be academic role models and participate fully in the academic extra-curricular programs of the school, including attendance at cultural, academic and careers based excursions.
A merit based process is to determine scholarship recipients. Criteria includes:
• Demonstrated very high level of academic achievement
• Demonstrated very high standard of behaviour, effort and attendance
iXL positions are awarded at the start and the middle of the year, with successful applicants being offered a position for the school year, including Year 7s beginning their secondary schooling journey.
Students and families looking to enrol at Northern Beaches SHS for 2020 are encouraged to fill out the iXL Application Form when enrolling.